Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation


Front Page > breadcrumbs: HS Athletics > breadcrumbs: Boys Basketball >


Ajax Loading Image


Wolf Hunt Over Early

JV Also Wins

It didn't take the varsity Indians long to take control of their match-up with the Idalia Wolves on Friday, January 6. The Indians jumped out to a 21-8 first quarter lead and stretched the margin to 42-15 at halftime. With all the Indians suited seeing plenty of playing time, the Indians cruised to a 77-25 victory. The junior varsity contest was much more competitive, with the Indians winning 33-29.

The junior varsity contest was close throughout with each team holding a maximum lead of 4 points until the final moments of the contest. The game was back and forth with each of the Indians' first three baskets being answered by the Wolves. Draven Houtman's post basket was followed by a steal-two by Tayton Weeter giving the Indians their first 4-point lead at 10-6. After an Idalia time-out at 1:41, the Wolves drained a trey making the first quarter score 10-9.

Jordan Raby's jumper in the lane gave the Indians a 12-9 advantage, but the Wolves responded with a trey by freshman Caleb Wingfield again tying the game. After Raby scored on an offensive rebound, K.C. Krien's drive established a 16-12 advantage for the Indians. After the Wolves trimmed the lead to two points, a banking trey by freshman Dax Towns gave the Wolves their first lead of the contest (16-17) late in the first half. An additional basket by junior Brendon Weatherly completed the first half scoring. At halftime, the Wolves possessed a 3-point advantage, 16-19.

Early in the third period, the Wolves stretched their advantage to four points, 18-22. A jumper by Tayton Weeter and a stick-back basket by K.C. Krien quickly tied the game at 22-all. Late in the quarter, a post  basket by Weatherly gave the lead back to the Wolves. Weeter tied the game at 24-all on a drive, but a free-throw by the Wolves in the closing moments of the third period allowed Idalia to retain the lead (24-25) going into the final period.

The Indians opened the final period with three free throws regaining the lead. At 5:04, a basket by Weatherly tied the contest at 27-all. With the Indians' defense holding strong, K.C. Krien added two offensive rebound baskets and a jumper in the lane (assist Draven Houtman) to move the Indians to a 6-point advantage (33-27). Idalia's Brandon Kock added a stick-back basket to make the final score 33-29.

The varsity contest was a mismatch. Though the Wolves competed hard throughout the contest, the superior size and skills of the Indians made things difficult for the Colorado visitors. Senior Eric Enriquez opened the game with an offensive rebound score for the Wolves. It would be the only score the Wolves would earn until late in the first quarter. Meanwhile, the Indians reeled off 14 unanswered points to take full control. The Indians' defense made offensive execution difficult for the Wolves, and the Indians earned several turnovers and quickly converted them to scores. Brock Waters' steal on the second Idalia possession resulted in a lay-up by Tate Busse. Quinton Cravens scored on a drive, and Waters followed with a trey from the left wing. A Busse steal resulted in an old-fashioned three-point play by Waters moving the scoreboard to 10-2 and triggering an Idalia time-out at 5:17. Busse's next assist set up a right corner score by Cravens. After Waters added consecutive free-throws, the score moved to 14-2. Idalia then earned another offensive rebound score, this one by sophomore Sam McGinnis. After a left corner basket by Dalton Straub, McGinnis scored from the post. At 2:51, the Wolves used their second time-out of the period. The Indians would earn two more baskets before the quarter closed; a top-of-the-key trey by Brady Dinkel and a fast-break lay-up by Busse (assist Straub). Idalia scored the final bucket of the period. St. Francis led 21-8 after one period of play.

Brock Waters scored the first five points of the second period (stick-back +1 & two FTs). The Wolves then moved their side of the scoreboard to eleven points with a top-of-the-key trey. Tate Busse and Jeremiah Neitzel each added free-throws; then, Quinton Cravens then added consecutive baskets--the first coming on an assist by Busse. The score now stood at 32-11. Idalia's Logan Prather (sophomore) added a driving basket before Dalton Straub's offensive rebound score. Charlie Bator earned an offensive rebound basket for the Wolves; the last score of the half for the Wolves. Straub's aggressiveness on the board resulted in another stick-back basket for the Indians. The first half closed after three more St. Francis baskets; a lay-up by Busse after a steal and assist by Waters, a Busse to Straub fast-break, and a steal-two by Busse. The Indians led 42-15 at halftime.

Even though many of the substitute players had seen action in the first half, everyone suited saw lots of game time in the second half. Taylor Rogers opened the third quarter scoring with a drive to the rim. After an answer by Idalia, Quinton Cravens added an offensive rebound basket. Cravens' basket was soon answered by a sitck-back by Enriquez. At 6:20, Tate Busse swished a trey from the top-of-the-key increasing the margin to 30 points (49-19). Waters added a free-throw before a stick-back basket (plus one) by Cravens. Charlie Bator earned a post basket for the Wolves that was soon answered by a Busse steal-two. After a Bator free-throw, the Indians went on a 16-point run. During the run the Indians received five points each from Waters and Busse, four from Brady Dinkel, and two from Dalton Straub. With the St. Francis substitute players playing the last few minutes of the third period, the Wolves eventually scored from the post in the final moments. St. Francis led 71-24 after three quarters of action.

The final period was played with a running clock due to the 30-point rule. The Wolves added one free-throw to their total during the final 8 minutes while Brady Dinkel added three (charity toss & steal-two), Jordan Raby chipped in two (FTs), and Tayton Weeter added one. St. Francis defeated the Idalia Wolves 77-25. With the win, the Indians record moved to 8-0. Idalia fell to 0-6.

Idalia was led in scoring by seniors Erick Enriquez and Charlie Bator, each with 7 points. Sophomore Sam McGinnis added 6 points. The Wolves made 2 of 8 from the free-throw line.

St. Francis was led by Tate Busse and Brock Waters, each with 19 points. Quinton Cravens scored 13, Dalton Straub 10, and Brady Dinkel 10. Other Indians scoring in the contest included:  Taylor Rogers 2, Jordan Raby 2, Tayton Weeter 1, and Jeremiah Neitzel 1. The Indians made 17 of 33 from the stripe.

The Indians will play Weskan, in St. Francis, on Tuesday, January 10.

Click the photos to see more photos!

  • RSS Icon

St. Francis 100 College Street St. Francis, KS  67756

Superintendent's Office: 785-332-8182 High School Office: 785-332-8153 Elementary Office: 785-332-8143

Sign up for the News Update.

Back To Top